Blog it!

Share your thoughts! This blog is intended to give you the opportunity to share not only your opinions
on sports-related matters, but also to comment on what classmates have to say.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Don't take me out to the ballgame, take the ballgame away.

It’s nights like tonight that I hate sports. Not because I don’t like to watch sports, not because I don’t understand sports, but because I don’t want to wait at the paper after all our news is done for one silly game.

The fall is my refuge, thankfully, because Wichita State doesn’t have football. Basketball season and baseball season make me cringe. I’m here panicking as our midnight deadline approaches and we are still waiting on stories to be finished and photos to be toned.

I sit in the dungeon that is the Sunflower office, with no windows. I never know the weather. The only way I know if a game has been rained out (or delayed because the lights went out — seriously?!) is by listening to the radio or TV.

You would think they could play earlier, wouldn’t you?

Not so fast, Candice.

There’s money in athletics, and there’s no money if nobody shows up to them now, is there?

Millions of dollars are likely not easy to give up for the media. The Eagle often has to push its deadlines back for sports. It’s funny that news rarely lets us miss our deadlines at the Sunflower (I say lets because it would be great to have some news that actually happened on a time-sensitive basis!).

Maybe someday I’ll have a job that will leave me singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” instead of cursing the sports industry, but for now, I want sports to stop ruining my early nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment