Blog it!

Share your thoughts! This blog is intended to give you the opportunity to share not only your opinions
on sports-related matters, but also to comment on what classmates have to say.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mike Kennedy

Jammed in that tiny room high above Tyler field I gained a new perspective on baseball. I've never been in a press box, therefor I have never seen the stadium from that vantage point.It's incredible. I would love my job too if I covered baseball for a storied program like WSU and got to watch it from a spot like that every home game.
I never wanted to pursue a job in radio, or doing play-by-play, but I do remember pressing the mute button occasionally just to see if I could call the correct pitch thrown. I guess I don't have the patience. I would last about two batters, never a full inning or a half at that.I would call my own play-by-play in the drive way as I missed the game winning shot, but I don't recall interviewing myself after the fact. I'm sure I was too disappointed.
Mike Kennedy's profession seemed to start the same way, with the TV on mute. With a lot of hard work, a finding a home at WSU, he seems to have the job he was always wanted.
I really only listen to the play-by-play on the radio when I'm on the road, and I never thought about how much work it takes to call the game. Kennedy seems to be a hybrid of sorts, part scout part radio personality. As I looked through the windows into the other press boxes I saw the younger guys plugging their laptops in and munching on some pizza. Then I looked at Mike's desk. A few pieces of paper staple together, a line up taped on the wall, a microphone and a sweet view of the action below. Mike's an old school guy and he has a system that works.
I appreciated the pointers he gave us like being yourself, which makes up for a lack of voice or humor.
After leaving his office I was excited to watch the game. I used to go to games and watch about half of it. That day I was completely tuned and in my mind the TV was on mute.


No comments:

Post a Comment