Blog it!

Share your thoughts! This blog is intended to give you the opportunity to share not only your opinions
on sports-related matters, but also to comment on what classmates have to say.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mike Kennedy reaction

Honestly, the only time I'd ever heard Kennedy before was as I radio surfed my way up and down the dial. His voice has been nothing but a series of blips, the in-and-out minutia one hears when they cannot decide on a station.
After hearing Kennedy speak, I realize that might have been a mistake of mine. The guy has a subtle passion about what he does, highlighted by the fact that he basically learned a sport, volleyball, in order to give WSU fans an intelligent breakdown of the game.
While there were many topics on which he touched, the one that has stuck with me centers on his opinion of the current great radio voices.
I grew up listening to Harry Caray both on the radio and television. After his passing, Pat Hughes took over for Caray on the radioside and the guy has proven to be one of the best in the biz. He has won numerous awards and he is widely considered as one of the top color guys. Kennedy, however, neglected to mention him. I understand this is a matter of taste; plus, who knows if he's ever even heard Hughes broadcast a game.
With that said, Kennedy did mention Jon Miller as one of the greats.
Oh please, no.
I detest Jon Miller and his self-indulgent tongue. Maybe it's my distaste for all things ESPN, but Miller is just the worst. the guy over enunciates every Spanish name, gets way too excited at the inconsequentialities, and half the time sounds like he's calling a game from a bottle of Johnny Walker. Check this website (awfulannouncing.blogspot.com) and look for some examples. There aren't just a couple.
So while Kennedy seemed like a pro's pro, I must respectfully disagree with his assessment of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment