Blog it!

Share your thoughts! This blog is intended to give you the opportunity to share not only your opinions
on sports-related matters, but also to comment on what classmates have to say.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kansas sports Hall of Fame

There has been a lot of, shall we say, negative feedback on the Hall of Fame visit.

At Catch It Kansas, we work pretty closely with the Hall in order to keep our records. We get a lot of negative feedback saying my kid just broke the state record with these numbers. Why don't you report it.

Well, don't bitch at us. It is up to the coach for your team to report this information, to THE OFFICIAL RECORD KEEPERS AT THE HALL OF FAME!

Of course there is a big basketball list of Kansas heroes. But I enjoyed the bulk of the museums' high school accomplishments.

There were a lot of Jim Ryun SI covers. But I loved the lack of Ryun displays!

Have any of you met Ryun? I have. I can't believe this religious lunatic represented a district in this state as an elected official!

Anyways, It was nice to see a photo of, Derby head coach Ryan Herrs, dunking in a McPherson uniform (short shorts). I covered Derby last year, and Herrs seemed tough as nails. Not so mean in daisy dukes huh?

Sorry Ryan. People will make fun of my dumb, high school ass too! But I won't be in the Hall!

Speaking of McPherson. The Hall also acknowledged McPherson as having the best gym in Kansas. The, "Mini Roundhouse," as KWCH calls it, is with out a doubt, the basketball destination.

As a wrestling fan, I was impressed by the display. It wasn't updated with Chase Nitcher's 175 career wins. If you are not into wrestling, 100 wins is probably a school record.

Nitcher had 175 career wins. I'm not good at math, but that is an extra Hall of Fame career worth of wins.

Nitcher did lose eight matches. Punk.

Sorry Chase! Didn't mean to call you a punk. Don't kill me!

There was also the display of Bo Maynes. In the Hall as a 130-0 career wrestler from Salina South, but there is a big omission.

Maynes holds a record that may never be broken. The Cougar was never taken down in his entire wrestling career.

Never taken down?

You tell me what's more impressive, 175 wins, or 130-0, never taken down?

If you have seen it all, then tell me about Lauri Koehn! Four-time 2A state basketball player of the year. NCAA record holder for 3-pointers made in a career with 392. I graduated with her brother and knew her from the time she was blowing us off to shoot.

When we were playing kids basketball, she was the only one on the court during halftime practicing her shot.

I never, ever, saw Lauri without a basketball in her hands. She hit 392 career 3-point shots through a lifetime of dedication.

Forget Ohlde and Wecker. Koehn was the glue.

I liked the Hall. Sorry if you didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment