Blog it!

Share your thoughts! This blog is intended to give you the opportunity to share not only your opinions
on sports-related matters, but also to comment on what classmates have to say.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Sports Muse...um?

You know what the best part of the Sports Museum in Newton was?
No really, I want to know.
Because I'm struggling here.
I completely understand the reasoning behind visiting the place, but overall, I can't say I took much away from it. The museum simply didn't have enough panache. Too many SI covers, not enough everything else.
Really, a museum is supposed to wow you, to make you go "huh, I didn't know that."
But, honestly, I think I knew a whole lot of the information I saw there already. And the rest just didn't interest me.
Not to be a homer, but the best part of the place was the WSU section. Specifically, the baseball wing. And even more specifically, the 1989 video of the national championship.
That video was terrific, giving me some insight into what put Shocker baseball on the scene. Though I knew Eric Wedge played in Wichita, I didn't know he was the big gun for Stephenson that year. I also didn't know that so many players from that team were never really heard from again. Yes, there were some studs -- Wedge, Mike Lansing, Pat Meares --but overall, where did they all go? It always amazes me to look back on the greatest collegiate teams, regardless of sport, to see just how many of their players have vanished into the flameout ether. Greats in college don't always make professional studs. Hello, Curtis Enis. Say hi, Lawrence Philips. You too, Bobby Hurley.
While I appreciate the effort of the Kansas Sports Museum, the followthrough just wasn't there. Save for the WSU video and the high jump bar of the state record holder, the trip to Newton was a practice in eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment