Blog it!

Share your thoughts! This blog is intended to give you the opportunity to share not only your opinions
on sports-related matters, but also to comment on what classmates have to say.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Women in "Sports" or at least cheering for sports

I am passionate of just about any sport that I watch. I love everything about them. Baseball and football would have to be my top two favorites of all though. Nothing beats sitting at a ballpark on a beautiful summer day, watching my favorite team and chomping down on pickle flavored sunflower seeds. 
What I also love about baseball is the fact that there are no cheerleaders or dancers. Baseball is purely baseball. 
I have nothing against the cheerleaders or dancers. I was a college cheerleader so I feel they do try and give support and encouragement and just get fans excited to be at the games. Why I like that there aren't any of these spirit leaders is because I feel really sorry for them.  The pressures that they have to endure to fit into a skimpy-next-to-nothing outfit is ridiculous. 
The sad part about this all is that it is happening at our very own campus. The dance team recently held try-outs and some girls who had all the dancing background and a long history of dance didn't make it because they didn't fit the "look" aka: anorexic or even just size 2's and 4's. while some girls who had little to no dance experience got the spots because they looked like Barbies. I hate that women have to go through this and it's why I appreciate baseball so much because girls don't have to put up with this. And everyone seems to wonder why so many women have eating disorders and health issues...sheesh! 
Baseball, the best sport there, with no pressures thrown out at women. Our all-America sport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment